Friday, February 17, 2006

The Mass Turnpike Assoc.

Well, the lovely people in the Mass Turnpike Association have screwed me again. And they got me good this time.

For those that don't know, Boston has a giant highway project called "The Big Dig". It's a network of underground tunnels that has re-routed I-90 and I-93 under the city instead of through it. It's actually a fantastic idea. But it has been riddled with typical Massachusetts politics, delays, scandals, fiascos, and the like. But traffic and travel are so much better it's been worth it.

Anyways, they're still finishing things up, meaning they still do have to work on some of the sections. This results in closures of certain sections at night. Typically the exact section I'm trying to use to get home from a hockey game at 12:15am. But I have grown used to it and can deal with it. I know my alternate routes and know all the detours by heart. Unfortunately, in order to effectively use said alternate routes, they have to let me know that there are closures coming up. Which they are normally very good at doing. Until Wednesday night. Cruising down 93, right past all of the highway alert signs where they typically post the closure info, thinking I'm home free. Until about 1/2 mile past the last available exit. Then suddenly the cones and police cruisers appear. And a tirade of profanity emanates from my car. Yes, they had actually blocked off the airport tunnel (which takes me home) without mentioning a single word about it. This would be like showing up at the airport for a flight to Chicago, then watching them land in Indianapolis, assuming that you've already used your psyching powers and known that they were going to do that.

So now I'm pissed I have to get off in South Boston and drive over to the tunnel entrance by the Teradyne building. But it's only a 10-minute detour, so I'm starting to settle down. Driving a little spirited, but settling down. So I get over there and hop back in the tunnels. I'm relaxed and thinking about the hot shower coming up at home, when what do my eyes see! More cones and troopers! Those dirty SOBs have closed this section as well, of course without any warning or detour routes. So now I've found that 2/4 possible airport tunnel entrances are shut-down without a single word why, or any mention of a detour route. I know some ways around it, but at this point I have absolutely no idea what's going to be open. Thank God I'm not a newbie to the city and needed to get to the airport. Shit, a newbie would be stuck in that maze forever.

As a side-note, I'm convinced the tunnels were actually designed by ex-Vietcong planners. The system works great if you know where you're going. If not, you may not be seen again until next spring. I bet there are small colonies of people living in the maintenance tunnels after getting lost in the tunnels. Living on rats and the lunches they steal from the workers. Wandering around for the rest of their days searching for a way out. But I digress...

So I'm forced back into South Boston, further away from any useful route this time. I finally do manage to get back to I-93, heading north this time, and get off where I normally would if I knew the tunnel was closed. I have spent 30 minutes driving in circles around Boston, all because some half-wit in the MTA was too dumb to do his job and post the tunnel closures for approaching motorists. And the MTA wonders why everyone in the state hates them.

Ahhh, the joys of driving in Boston.

No comments: